Sunday, August 05, 2007

Confused.

So Apparently I've missed one or two Vista features before uninstalling it all and abandoning it like a sinking, terrorist-laden (haha good pun, if I may say so myself..terrorist-laden...geddit??) ship stuck in the Arctic; and thus contemplating whether to give up this secure, stable-ish xp platform I'm currently typing on and move back to the choppy but incredibly beautiful risk-taking everyday of the average Vista user. So what makes me think this?

Well, good marketing for one. I mean; I was just checking acceptance of Vista in Japan, simply because of my obsessed J-style mentality (which ocassionally pops up from hiding and messes up my western-influenced direction in life) and found these pictures. Apparently able to run H games fine is one thing, but to run 8 of them simultaneously, with seperate audio controls and with aero to flip between them all? Granted that I do not indulge in such games often (stop sniggering... AG2 was ages ago); but the ability to do so, and it being the Japanese mindset to sell Vista (shops are actually promoting it this way in Japan) it's just very tempting...I mean...really...look at them screens. Interesting to say the least.

The other reason was my ignorance, forgetting to test out the readyboost feature in Vista. You see, what Vista does is you can insert any USB 2.0 device, and/or flash memory cards into the drives to increase system memory, and thus launching stuff faster, apparently making it a better experience. And I do have a spare micro-sd lying around.. so then two reasons. That and video detection is slightly better for the TV s-video connection. Granted that I'm slightly biased on this point and that XP can probably achieve the same settings, it's just that Vista does that automatically. Oh, and apparently the Sp1 is coming out soon, which should sort out tons of issues...I hope.

However, I am not oblivious to the fact that I switched back to XP because I did miss the stable feeling. But. I do not feel that safe. It just feels like returning to that rough neighbourhood again. I had a trojan the first time I installed on Saturday night. Hence a re-install on Sunday. It's a risk I'm thinking about evading. No doubt this pc is better suited to XP (illustrated by the flawless microphone performance), with the nice aquarium screensaver to boot, but there's a nagging feelinhg at the back of my head that keeps telling me to switch back.

So the verdict? I'm not sure. Only time will tell.

















No comments: